Gillette Castle State Park
East Haddam, CT
|Date Opened||1/4/2019 11:30:00 AM|
|Salary||$10.10 - 12.00 per hour|
|Close Date||2/28/2019 11:59:00 PM|
Atop the most southerly hill in a chain known as the Seven Sisters, William Hooker Gillette, noted actor, director, and playwright, built this one hundred and eighty-four acre estate, the Seventh Sister. The focal point of his effort was a twenty four room mansion reminiscent of a medieval castle. Purchased by the State of Connecticut in 1943 from the executors of Mr. Gillette's will, Gillette Castle and the adjoining property with its fine woodlands, trails, and vistas are now administered for the enjoyment of present and future generations.
This Unit of the CT State Park System also provides staff support to Devils Hopyard State Park in East Haddam, Gardner Lake State Park in Salem, and Machimoodus and Sunrise State Parks in East Haddam as well as other state properties in the area.
The State of Connecticut, Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP), Bureau of Outdoor Recreation, State Parks Division, Gillette Castle State Park , is currently seeking to fill multiple Seasonal Resource Assistant positions.
Reporting station for these positions is located in East Haddam, CT.
These positions are 32-40 hours per week, 7:00 am -3:30 pm or report 8 ½ hours before sunset if scheduled to close.
Position: (see details under Examples of Duties)
Seasonal Maintainer: Performs work related to the maintenance and operation of DEEP managed lands and facilities.
Approximate Dates of Employment: late-January to July.
Pay rates are $10.10 -12.00/hr. depending on relevant skills and experience.
Length of positions: anticipated start dates vary and run through the recreation season; anticipated duration is a maximum of 1040 hours.
Applicants must submit a resume within the "Resume" tab of their applications.
Any inquiries regarding the status of your application for this park’s positions must be made directly to the individual park, Philip.Yuris@ct.gov.
These positions are non-competitive. Open to the public.
Selected candidates must be fluent in English, be at least 18 years old and possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
Selected candidates must possess and maintain adequate physical flexibility, strength and stamina to perform the duties (including work outside in inclement weather, work outside for extended periods), and work well with other staff and members of the public.
Previous experience in janitorial work, landscaping or a skilled trade preferred.
Good people skills, ability to work alone and in groups and willing to share talents.
1. Incumbents in these classes who are assigned as patrol persons or supervisors of small recreational units will perform emergency first aid as needed and will be required to obtain and retain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
2. Incumbents in these classes may be required for certain positions to meet any of the following:
a. Proof of possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator license.
b. Possession of a valid license to apply pesticides.
c. College training in a specific field.
d. Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification may be required by specific State facilities.
3. Incumbents performing patrol officer functions must currently possess Police Officer Standard Training (POST) certification or be eligible for POST recertification without completing the Basic Training program again (i.e. must be current or retired within two (2) years of last POST certified required employment) or Connecticut State Police (CSP) Academy certification (must be current or retired within two (2) years of last CSP certified required employment). Must pass a seasonal patroller training course as approved by the Connecticut State Police.
4. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must have and retain an American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding Certification (includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Basic First Aid). An EMT or MRT certification may be substituted for the CPR and First Aid requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties of the class.
2. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must be able to demonstrate American Red Cross (ARC) waterfront lifeguarding swimming skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.