Eastern Connecticut State University
|Date Opened||11/29/2018 12:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$46,721 - $61,096/year|
|Job Type||Open to Statewide Employees|
|Close Date||12/13/2018 11:59:00 PM|
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has permanent state status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanant status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Applicants are required to upload a resume with their submission. (Note: In order to upload documents you must ensure that your internet browser's 'pop-up' blocker is off. Failure to do so may prevent you from being able to upload documentation and submit your application.)
Questions about these required documents should be directed to the hiring agency's human resources office: HR-Recruitment@easternct.edu.
Incumbents perform a variety of secretarial duties as illustrated in the following areas:
1. TYPING: Using a personal computer or other electronic equipment, formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc. Proofreads for content; edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. FILING: Designs office filing systems; organizes and maintains files (including confidential files); maintains, updates and reviews reference materials and manuals.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes complex letters and/or memoranda, etc. (e.g. explaining department practices/policies) for own or supervisor's signature.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from a variety of sources and prepares narrative or statistical reports, exercising judgment in the selection of items to be included.
5. INTERPERSONAL: Greets and directs visitors; answers phones and screens incoming calls; provides advice to callers regarding policy and procedures (e.g. citing a regulation to solve a specific problem); coordinates with others both within and outside of the organization on a variety of non-routine matters.
6. PROCESSING: Screens letters, memos, reports and other materials to determine action required; may make recommendations to the supervisor.
7. PERSONAL SECRETARY: Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment); researches, assembles and coordinates meeting materials (e.g. charts, graphs, reports); writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft; takes notes using shorthand, speedwriting or machine transcription; prepares expense accounts; makes travel arrangements.
8. OFFICE MANAGEMENT: Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment; orders supplies when necessary; completes, processes and maintains paperwork for purchasing (e.g. orders, requisitions, invoices, etc.); maintains time and attendance records; assists in preparing and monitoring the office budget (e.g. compiles figures, reviews statistical reports, verifies expense items); designs and initiates new forms and procedures to facilitate workflow; performs related duties as required.
Preference will be given to those applicants who can effectively demonstrate the following in their submitted application:
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.