This position is for Western Connecticut State University's Department of Environmental & Facilities Services - Grounds Operations located at 181 White Street in Danbury, CT. Candidate will be responsible for grounds and athletic field maintenance, including snow removal operations as well as garbage and recycle routes and removal on the Midtown and Westside Campuses of Western Connecticut State University. Eligible candidates in this class must possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Medical exam, drug screen, and criminal background check will be required prior to offer of employment.
WCSU offers a comprehensive benefits package. Additional information on benefits can be found at www.wcsu.edu/hr/benefits/.
*Starting salary is $41,756 for non-state of CT Maintenance & Service Unit Union (NP-2) employees.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current employee of Western Connecticut State University or the Board of Regents, Connecticut State Colleges and Universities, who has permanent state status, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
At the University of Connecticut, Western Connecticut State University, Central Connecticut State University, Eastern Connecticut State University and Southern Connecticut State University and the University of Connecticut Health Center, this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of landscaping tasks to beautify and maintain the visual appearance of the campuses and/or regional campuses.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Prepares, installs and maintains decorative landscaping features to include flowers, plants, shrubs, ornamental grasses, trees, waterscapes, lighting and decorative and synthetic or natural materials in formal gardens, plant containers, borders and island beds; hauls materials, fills, grades and slopes work sites; pulls weeds, mulches, repairs drip lines, waters and fertilizes; installs and maintains turf by seeding or siding, repairing, mowing and fertilizing; clears brush, debris and leaves from lawns and catch basins; installs, maintains and regulates irrigation systems; installs and maintains recreational sports fields; operates and maintains various large and small power and construction equipment including bucket/boom truck, front loader, backhoes, bulldozers, forklifts, tractors, dump trucks of five (5) ton or greater capacity, plow and pickup trucks and trailers, street sweepers, leaf vacuums, wood chippers, mowers, leaf blowers, weed whackers and chain saws; maintains and repairs small gas engine power equipment and large equipment to include, but not limited to, oil and spark plug change, blade sharpening, tire change or repair, fluid change and battery replacement; uses and maintains various hand tools; assists with the set up and dismantling of, but not limited to, plantings, fences, chairs, tents, bleachers and tables for special events; installs and maintains fences, bollards and signage campus wide; installs, maintains and repairs asphalt pavement and other materials on travelled surfaces; performs pre-treatment and snow and ice removal; assists arborists with tree pruning or felling operations; maintains orderliness and efficiency of landscape work sheds and surrounding areas; removes trash and changes bins daily; may apply pesticides under direct supervision; may paint poles and other structures within the landscape; may travel to work at regional campuses; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of various plants used in landscape features; knowledge of proper care of plants for sustainment; basic knowledge of turf grass management practices; some basic knowledge of pesticides and application methods and techniques; interpersonal skills; oral and written communications skills; ability to operate, maintain and repair hand tools; ability to operate, maintain and repair small gas engines; ability to operate maintain and repair large power equipment; ability to operate, maintain and repair heavy construction and commercial landscaping equipment and vehicles; ability to use personal protective equipment; ability to follow written and oral instructions; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in landscape maintenance including the operation, maintenance and repair of small and large power/motor equipment and heavy construction and/or commercial equipment and vehicles used in landscaping.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must include plant selection and installation, pruning, fertilization and seeding of turf grasses.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
For State Employees, two (2) years of landscaping experience at or above the level of Maintainer may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate in their application:
1) Experience in a large-scale service industry
2) Experience in Grounds, Sports Fields Maintenance, and Snow Removal, including plant selection and installation, pruning, fertilization and seeding of turf grasses.
3) Demonstrated use of technical & communicative skills
4) Professional Certifications such as Property Maintenance and Management
5) Previous experience at a college or university-like setting
6) Demonstrated knowledge of horticulture.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
3. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
4. Incumbents in this class must be available to work as needed for emergency or snow removal duties.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions, significant levels of dust and noise and risk of injury from equipment.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to use personal protective equipment.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.