|Date Opened||8/2/2018 09:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$36,671 - $46,355/year|
|Job Type||Open to the Public|
|Close Date||8/16/2018 11:59:00 PM|
The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner is seeking one (1) full-time Clerk Typist to work in our facility in Farmington, CT. The hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Our free-standing, modern facility is located on the Campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center and Medical School. The office is a state-wide medical examiner system charged with the investigation of sudden and unexpected deaths that by statute fall under our jurisdiction. Our agency operates 24/7/365 performing these death investigations.
The Clerk Typist position is centered within our Medical Records Department. Every investigation we perform results in a permanently maintained record and requests for those records are regularly received. Our Medical Records staff also handle the Reception Area of our agency – where they greet and sign-in visitors and triage telephone calls.
The Clerk Typist will perform duties ranging from receiving visitors and triaging incoming telephone calls (reception area duties) to filing, scanning, correspondence and data entry as it pertains to our permanent medical records, and other related duties as required.
All applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application, as well as upload a cover letter with their submission. Applicants invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
(Note: in order to upload documents you must ensure that your internet browser's 'pop-up' blocker is off. Failure to do so may prevent you from being able to upload documentation into JobAps.) Should you have questions pertaining to any phase of this recruitment, please contact the hiring agency's human resources office: Nicole Brown, email@example.com, (860) 679-3982.
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing a full range of general clerical functions including basic processing, reception, filing, record keeping, bookkeeping and typing.
1. TYPING: Using a typewriter, personal computer and other electronic equipment types a variety of materials from rough copy or electronic recording device including correspondence, memos, reports, forms, applications, bills and other documents and records with speed and accuracy; reviews and corrects drafts for conformance with originals; enters and retrieves data on personal computers and computer terminals.
2. FILING: Maintains logs; sets up and maintains records and files according to established procedures; (e.g. alpha, numeric or chronological order); searches files for information.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Prepares and sends out standard form letters making minor revisions or additions.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares reports.
5. INTERPERSONAL: Answers phone, transfers calls and takes messages; receives and directs visitors; handles routine requests for information, procedural guidelines or assistance over the telephone or in person; (e.g. counter, reception and/or information desk).
6. PROCESSING: Receives, sorts and distributes mail; performs a variety of basic processing tasks (e.g., sorts, numbers, codes and files materials), reviews materials for accuracy and completeness (ensures categorical information is completed as required), makes changes per instructions or as authorized, verifies information through cross-referencing of existing computer and/or manual files or inquiries by phone or form letter to sender or other work units; does routine posting to ledgers, account books or other records; receives payments for licenses, bills, applications, fines and fees, etc.; prepares, totals and balances receipts; prepares cash transmittal/deposit slips; types and prepares purchase requisitions, orders or billing invoices according to established procedures; assists in or maintains inventory and orders supplies; performs related duties as required.
Knowledge of office procedures including proper telephone usage and filing; knowledge of spelling, punctuation and grammar; skill in typing a variety of materials; basic interpersonal skill; basic oral and written communication skills; basic skill in performing arithmetical computations; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers, computer terminals and other electronic equipment; ability to perform basic clerical tasks such as coding, sorting, alphabetizing and numeric ordering.
The Clerk Typist should be an individual who is comfortable working in an Agency that investigates death, and working with the parties who seek the information we have (grieving families, police departments, doctors and funeral homes). At times the work may be emotional or even uncomfortable. Sensitivity, maturity and professionalism are paramount.
Experience using Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) and Abode Acrobat and mastery of a multi-line telephone preferred. Experience opening, sorting, and distribution mail and handling cash and checks also preferred.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.