This position will be located in the Newtown, CT area and includes: Garner Correctional Institution. This is a 35 hours per week position; Monday- Friday; Education in the CT Department of Correction (DOC) is provided through Unified School District #1 (USD #1). USD #1 is a legally vested school district within the Department of Correction (DOC). The mission of USD #1 is to provide quality education programs for incarcerated individuals so that they can make a successful transition to society. Academic knowledge, vocational competencies, use of technology and life skills integrated with technology are offered to students in a positive environment to foster life-long learning, multicultural awareness. Education continues to be one of the Department's most valuable assets in providing opportunities that will support an offender's successful reintegration back into the community.
Applicants are required to upload their CT State Board of Education Teaching Certificate with their submission. (Note: In order to upload documents you must ensure that your internet browser's 'pop-up' blocker is off. Failure to do so may prevent you from being able to upload documentation and submit your application.) Questions about these required documents should be directed to the hiring agency's human resources office: Melissa Thompson at Melissa.Thompson@ct.gov.
Candidate selected for interview must provide the following at the time of interview:
Failure to provide the required documents listed above or submit your application accurately and on time, will eliminate you from the recruitment process.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state institution, facility or region within a state unified school district, teaches appropriate early intervention, elementary, secondary, special subjects and/or special education curricula to individuals enrolled in departmental education programs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Teaches early intervention, elementary, secondary, special subject and/or special education curricula; develops educational plans for individuals and groups material level to students ability; sets short and long term goals and evaluates progress of students; participates in planning team meetings and case review conferences assessing student behavior; may hold conferences with parents or officials concerned with student's performance; relates to professionals in ancillary educational roles; maintains student records and writes reports; performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of the philosophy and methods of education and teaching; knowledge of the principles and practices of education for special needs population; knowledge of student program needs and goal setting; ability to motivate students; ability to communicate at the appropriate level; ability to establish cooperative relationships with those contacted in work; ability to prepare written reports.
Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college.
- Preference will be given to candidates who hold current Connecticut Certification in one or more of the following endorsement areas: Special Education (065) or (265)
- Preferred candidate will have working knowledge of current technology used in classrooms; to include the use of Smart boards and Eno boards. Applicants may be asked to demonstrate usage in a classroom lesson plan as part of the interview process.
- Ability to work with a diverse population.
- Subject area certifications listed above should be Core Subject specific. Applicants may be asked to demonstrate usage in a classroom lesson plan as part of the interview process.
1. Employment in this class is conditional upon possession of a valid Connecticut State Board of Education teaching certificate appropriate to the teaching assignment.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a current Connecticut Motor Vehicle operator's license.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made prior to appointment.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.