This position is located at the Osborn Correctional Institution in Somers, CT. This is a 35 hours per week position; Monday- Friday. Education in the CT Department of Correction (DOC) is provided through Unified School District #1 (USD #1). USD #1 is a legally vested school district within the Department of Correction (DOC). The mission of USD #1 is to provide quality education programs for incarcerated individuals so that they can make a successful transition to society. Academic knowledge, vocational competencies, use of technology and life skills integrated with technology are offered to students in a positive environment to foster life-long learning, multicultural awareness. Education continues to be one of the Department's most valuable assets in providing opportunities that will support an offender's successful reintegration back into the community.
Applicants are required to upload their CT State Board of Education Certification with their submission. (Note: In order to upload documents you must ensure that your internet browser's 'pop-up' blocker is off. Failure to do so may prevent you from being able to upload documentation and submit your application.) Questions about these required documents should be directed to the hiring agency's human resources office: Melissa Thompson - Melissa.Thompson@ct.gov.
Candidates selected for interview must provide the following at the time of interview:
- Cover Letter
Failure to provide the required documents listed above or submit your application accurately and on time, will eliminate you from the recruitment process. For questions concerning this job opportunity, please contact Melissa Thompson within the Department of Corrections Human Resources office at Melissa.Thompson@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state institution, facility or region within a state unified school district, assists in the organization and supervision of educational programs for resident students or inmates.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Provides supervision to staff of an educational program; plans and directs certain phases of education and training program; evaluates staff performance; ensures that the educational program is in compliance with Federal and State regulations and agency policies and procedures; obtains and safeguards necessary program resources such as supplies and equipment; interviews students and assigns them to proper class level; plans and organizes curricula for assigned subject areas; supervises extra-curricular activities; maintains records of students' progress; makes reports on students, teachers, and programs to administrators and other officials as required; may teach classes, performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of philosophy and methods of education and teaching; knowledge of the principles and practices of education for special needs population; ability in written and oral expression; ability to work effectively with others; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Master's degree in education or related field plus eighteen (18) semester hours of graduate credit and completion of fifty (50) school months of successful teaching or service employment as identified in State of Connecticut, Regulation of State Board of Education, Sec. 10-145d-574(a - f).
- Candidates must possess the State of Connecticut certification - Intermediate Administration (092)
- Candidates must be prepared academically in the field of educational administration with coursework and/or experiences in teacher evaluation and supervision.
- Candidates must have a demonstrated understanding and deep knowledge of school leadership issues and challenges.
- Candidates must have experience working with diverse populations.
- Focused consideration will be given to references indicating exceptional teaching, administrative and leadership expertise; a collaborative orientation to problem solving; college and graduate school grades; various life/work experiences that contribute to overall qualifications; strong interpersonal communication skills; planning, organizing and budgeting skills.
1. Connecticut State Board of Education certification as a Intermediate Administrator/Supervisor will be required at time of appointment.
2. Incumbents in the class may be required to possess and retain a current Connecticut Motor Vehicle operator's license.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made prior to appointment.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.