PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Administrative Services, Office of the State Fire Marshal this class is accountable for performing as a specialist in assuring proper application of the State Fire Safety Code, adopted referenced national standards and applicable state and federal statutes.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
This class is distinguished from Building Plan Reviewer (Code Compliance) in that the focus of the duties involves researching modifications to the State Fire Safety Code, providing building design alternatives and directing the acceptance testing of fire systems.
Works under the limited supervision of a Fire and Life Safety Supervisor or other employee of higher grade.
May lead lower level employees as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Serves in the capacity of the "authority having jurisdiction", representing the State Fire Marshal for resolution of disputed fire and life safety code related matters;
- Determines the legality of architectural and engineering plans of buildings and structures;
- Provides state agencies, local code enforcement officials, architects, engineers, other design professionals and construction industry representatives with technical assistance in the proper application of code and problem resolution in the design, construction, alteration or renovation of buildings including the testing of engineered systems;
- Reviews, analyzes and prepares written recommendations as to the acceptability of requests for modification of the State Fire Safety Code;
- Assists the State Fire Marshal in the revision of the State Fire Safety Code and referenced standards by conducting research and drafting amendments;
- Conducts technical on-site inspections and evaluations regarding complex code issues;
- Determines the appropriateness of building materials and system components based upon code interpretations;
- Collects and analyzes data at fire scenes for code performance; prepares technical reports;
- Prepares and presents educational training and certification programs mandated by statute to local code enforcement officials, state agencies and professional organizations;
- May lead technical staff by assigning and reviewing daily work, providing on-going training and preparing written evaluations;
- May testify at administrative hearings or in state and federal courts of law;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Considerable knowledge of
- and ability to interpret and apply building construction standards, fire and life safety codes, adopted referenced national standards, standard tests for construction materials and fire rating and applicable state and federal statutes;
- and ability to review complex architectural and engineering plans and specifications for large scale building projects including engineered fire and life safety protection systems and concepts;
- basic engineering and architectural principles, practices and methods of building design and construction;
- inspection practices;
- Knowledge of
- building materials and equipment;
- fire suppression and investigation methods;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to
- prepare and present technical material for training programs or public speaking engagements;
- utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in fire code compliance plan review and inspection of buildings.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of the General Experience must have been in the inspection and review of plans and specifications for fire code compliance on large scale building projects.
NOTE: Large scale building projects are interpreted as buildings exceeding 12,000 square feet in size and more than one story in height not including apartment buildings and single family residences.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in architecture, mechanical or civil engineering or related courses in fire technology, fire and life safety systems design or a related discipline may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
- Incumbents in this class will be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications including certification by the State Fire Marshal as a Fire Marshal, Deputy Fire Marshal or Fire Inspector OR to successfully complete the first program offered after appointment.
- Incumbents in this class will be required to complete ninety (90) hours of job related continuing education every three (3) years in accordance with Section 29-298(a) of the Connecticut General Statutes.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as be able to perform the duties.
- In accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreement's compensation guidelines.
- The classification of Fire and Life Safety Specialist is assigned to Salary Group FS 23a.
- Employees shall proceed through that salary group and then shall proceed to the maximum salary of Salary Group FS 24.
- The Job Code is identified as Salary Plan FE in CORE-CT.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(15)-ENG, SCIEN, TECH P-4
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Fire and Life Safety Specialist (40 Hour) in Salary Group FE 22 approved effective July 1, 2022. (Revised to modify pay plan, modernize format, and add Acknowledgement section) Final No. 23-154