$31.05-$39.77 Hourly / $2,484.34-$3,181.36 BiWeekly /
At the University of Connecticut, Storrs, this class is accountable for performing duties in the cogeneration power plant.
Works under the general supervision of a Lead Power Plant Operator or other employee of higher grade.
May lead and train Power Plant Operator Trainee(s).
Performs moderately skilled duties in operation of multiple power plant equipment for safe operation and production of high pressure superheated steam, electrical power and chilled water to meet energy needs; works with gas and steam turbine engines, boilers, duct burners, feed water and condensate systems, water chemistry, generators, fuel system, ammonia and emissions monitoring systems, blowdown system, cooling tower and chilled water distribution systems; tours power plant to ensure reliable operation of equipment and to detect faulty or erratic operation of systems through excessive vibration, abnormal noises, extreme temperatures and/ or leakages; monitors gauges to ensure proper performance in accordance with defined ranges set by state and federal regulations and/ or manufacturer guidelines; records performance indicators on log deficiency report; notifies control room Power Plant Operator 2 of equipment abnormalities and assists in diagnosis; receives notification from control room Power Plant Operator 2 of equipment or entire plant shut down and/or start-up and performs operations within approved plant procedures; performs preventive maintenance repairs such as changing of fan belts, valves, gauges, greasing of motors and minor plumbing; applies lock out tag out procedure when necessary; completes and submits work orders; adds anti-corrosive and deoxygenizing chemicals to boiler water tanks; attends safety meetings; may perform routine and/or scheduled maintenance and repairs on a rotating shift; performs related duties as required.
Knowledge of theory and application of large high pressure boilers equipped with super heaters, heat recovery steam generators, steam turbines and auxiliary systems; knowledge of industrial instrumentation and control systems; knowledge of arithmetic functions including algebra and geometry; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to read and interpret schematic diagrams; ability to apply basic principles of physics, chemistry, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid flow, and combustion; ability to utilize computer software.
Two (2) years of experience in a power plant or industrial setting to include the operation, maintenance and repair of steam boilers, generators or other mechanical equipment.
Note: Based on an individual’s technical experience, the length of credited service will be determined at the discretion of facility management.
1. Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma in a program related to mechanical equipment, mechanical engineering or related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
2. College training in mechanical engineering or a related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience up to one (1) year.
3. Two (2) years of successful completion in the Power Plant Operator Trainee class may be substituted for the General Experience of the Power Plant Operator 1 class.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights, use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles and may be exposed to significant levels of noise, dust, heat and risk of injury from equipment and/or environmental conditions.
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Power Plant Operator 1 (40 Hour) in Salary Group FM 17 approved effective June 28, 2017. (Revised to implement Stipulated Agreement, adjust Salary Group and modify Minimum Qualifications) Action No.18-038