$27.47-$36.14 Hourly / $2,197.48-$2,891.50 BiWeekly /
The Police Officer may perform a combination or concentration of the following functions on a fixed or rotating basis as directed by the agency:
SECURITY: Provides crowd control at various events and activities; monitors designated areas to ensure physical security and authorized access in order to prevent theft, trespass, vandalism or violation of state statutes or regulations; gives directions and routine information to the public; participates in evacuation activities in event of fire, bomb threats or other potential disasters; operates fire fighting apparatus if needed; may conduct cruiser or foot patrols; may conduct bicycle patrols as weather permits.
PROTECTION: Provides traffic and/or crowd control; assesses nature of further assistance needed and makes timely and appropriate arrangements; may gather background information and provide threat assessments regarding high risk locations, safety of persons or property, biological or physical threats; may respond to emergency situations and provide CPR or first aid to injured parties; may transport or escort couriers with currency and prisoners or Absent Without Leave (AWOL) persons; may assist in search for escaped patients or inmates; may assist State Police in investigation of major criminal acts; may be required to maintain building security and perform patrol duties at time of heightened alert level under Homeland Security procedures.
ENFORCEMENT: Directs traffic and enforces motor vehicle and parking regulations; may initiate and conduct criminal and other investigations of violations, suspicious activities or reports of incidents occurring within jurisdiction; may conduct on site investigations, question witnesses, arrest individuals at scene and issue summons.
ADMINISTRATION: Records information; applies for and serves arrest warrants; processes paperwork on arrests and activity reports; arranges surety and non-surety bond payments or Written Promise to Appear (WPA); provides court testimony; conducts special programs, projects and services as required; may process arrested individuals including determining charges, fingerprinting, photographing, initiating National Crime Information Computer (NCIC) check, searching, removing and inventorying personal belongings and transporting arrested persons to lock up; may conduct various safety training, certification and/or recertification courses; may perform minor equipment repairs; may make public presentations regarding crime prevention and safety; may serve as dispatcher; performs related duties as required.
Certification as a law enforcement officer in the State of Connecticut pursuant to regulations promulgated by the Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training Council.
Note: Candidates with a pending certification status may be employed on a temporary basis pending re-certification by the Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training Council.
1. Applicants must be United States citizens.
2. Candidates for this class are subject to selection standards pursuant to Section 7-294-a-e of the Connecticut General Statues and the regulations of the Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training Council.
3. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain authority from the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection to “arrest and present before a competent authority any person for any offense committed within his precinct.” (Connecticut General Statutes 29-18 and/or 10a-142)
4. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain certification as a law enforcement officer in the State of Connecticut pursuant to Section 7-294-a-e of the Connecticut General Statutes and the regulations promulgated by the Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training Council. Loss of certification will result in removal from the class.
5. Incumbents in this class may be required to maintain certifications pursuant to the regulations of the Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training Council and/or agency requirements.
6. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain a valid Motor Vehicle operator’s license.
7. Incumbents in this class may be required to obtain and retain Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification
8. Incumbents in this class must be eligible and qualified to bear arms.
9. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
1. Incumbents in this class must have general good health, be free from any disease or injury which would impair health or usefulness and possess and retain sufficient physical strength, stamina, agility, endurance and visual and auditory acuity required, to perform the duties of the class. A physical fitness assessment will be required of all applicants.
2. A comprehensive medical examination, including a controlled substance screening, will be required of all applicants upon a conditional offer of employment.