PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for stockroom or warehouse operations, including the full range of stores activities, such as receiving, storing, distributing, inspecting, inventorying, purchasing and all other related functions.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
This class is utilized where the incumbent:
1. Is the sole individual, in a state agency, district or region with full-time responsibility for the stores operation.
2. At the University of Connecticut, two (2) additional positions will serve as the designated staff for specialized materials.
Works under the general supervision of an employee of higher grade.
May lead Storekeeper Assistants, Transportation Maintainers, or other employees of lower grade as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Oversees the entire stockroom or warehouse operations; receives and issues stock and maintains records of receipts, requisitions, and stock on hand; arranges stock in planned fashion, with due account taken of age, accessibility, safety and security; clarifies amount and condition of stock on hand and reports all discrepancies or need for replenishment; verifies quantity and quality of incoming supplies against invoices, dray bills, bills of lading and orders; makes purchases of equipment or supplies as necessary; maintains housekeeping and security of stores area; takes required inventory of materials and supplies; receives gas station reports and makes necessary corrections; keeps mileage and maintenance records of vehicles in car pool; inspects material handling equipment, scales, gas pumps and other allied storeroom equipment for accuracy and safety; codes and inventories furniture and equipment; operates material handling equipment; may drive motor vehicles as assigned; may enter data into a computer; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of the methods of requisitioning, handling, storing and issuing of materials and supplies; knowledge of safe and efficient warehousing practices including purchasing; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to keep accurate stock records and inventories; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in stock or warehouse work or closely related work that could reasonably be expected to provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have involved the full range of stores duties, including receiving, storing, issuing, inventorying, inspecting, etc.
Note: For State Employees, this is interpreted at or above the level of Storekeeper.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice assignments, whenever their services are required.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess experience receiving and handling of specialized materials.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to weather conditions and may be required to handle hazardous materials/chemicals.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION