PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for independently performing a full range of various stores duties, both manual and clerical, such as receiving, storing, issuing, inspecting, inventorying, and the like; may be in charge of a small storeroom or be a specialist in a phase of total stores operation.
Works under the general supervision of a Material Storage Supervisor or other employee of higher grade.
May lead Storekeeper Assistants or other employees of lower grade as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Receives and issues stock and maintains records of receipts, requisitions, and stock on hand;
- Arranges stock in planned fashion, with due account taken of age, accessibility, safety and security;
- Clarifies amount and condition of stock on hand and reports all discrepancies or need for replenishment;
- Verifies quantity and quality of incoming supplies against invoices, dray bills, bills of lading and orders;
- Maintains housekeeping and security of stores area;
- Takes required inventory of materials and supplies;
- Receives gas station reports and makes necessary corrections;
- Keeps mileage and maintenance records of vehicles in car pool;
- Inspects material handling equipment, scales, gas pumps and other allied storeroom equipment for accuracy and safety;
- Codes and inventories furniture and equipment;
- Operates material handling equipment;
- May perform purchasing functions for inventory item stock replenishment;
- May drive motor vehicles as assigned;
- May enter data into a computer;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Knowledge of
- the methods of requisitioning, handling, storing and issuing of materials and supplies;
- safe and efficient warehousing practices including purchasing;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to
- keep accurate stock records and inventories;
- utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in stock or warehouse work or closely related work that could reasonably be expected to provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
- Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever their services are required.
- Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
- A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to weather conditions and may be required to handle hazardous materials/chemicals.
In accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreement's compensation guidelines.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Storekeeper (37.5 Hour) in Salary Group TC 12 approved effective May 05, 2022. (Revised to modernize format and add Acknowledgement section) Final No. 23-175