PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency or institution this class is accountable for receiving intensive training in the provision of social case work services to individuals and families.
Works under the close supervision of a Social Worker or Social Work Supervisor; works more independently with acquired experience.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Receives training in agency social work procedures, personnel policies, program guidelines and legal reporting requirements; receives training in and is given progressively complex assignments involving utilization of interviewing techniques required to assess client needs, elicit information and establish community referral sources; provides basic counseling services to a limited number of clients enrolled in departmental programs, inmates or patients in residence or families of clients receiving services; prepares initial treatment plans, psychosocial evaluation, case histories and other case records as components of a small assigned caseload; refers clients, patients and family members for community or social services, medical or psychological services or housing, financial and employment assistance; motivates clients to increase ability to understand and cope with problems, frustration and anxiety; performs a greater number of specific and complex social work duties and maintains a larger caseload as skills are acquired during training program; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of reciprocal relationship between individuals and their social, economic and cultural environment; basic knowledge of human social behavior; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to relate to different cultural and economic backgrounds; ability to organize time, set priorities and manage workload.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor's or Master's degree in social work or a closely related field.
Note: Closely related fields are: applied sociology, child development, child welfare, clinical psychology, counseling, human development and family studies, human service, marriage and family therapy, nursing, social and/or human services, education and criminal justice.
COMMISSION ON THE DEAF AND HEARING IMPAIRED AND DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES: The training period may be one or two years depending on the Experience and Training requirements of the target class.
DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES: The training period shall be two years. Upon successful completion the incumbent shall be promoted to the target class of Social Worker.
1. Candidates cannot be appointed until all degree requirements are completed.
2. DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES: Incumbents in this class are required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
3. OTHER AGENCIES: Incumbents may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License
4. COMMISSION ON THE DEAF AND HEARING IMPAIRED: Incumbents in this class must be able to communicate fluently in American Sign Language.
5. Incumbents in this class may be required to speak a foreign language.
6. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Appointment to the positions in this class shall be for a period not to exceed six months past the required period of training for the target class unless there is a change in the employing agency or in the designated target class.
COMMISSION ON THE DEAF AND HEARING IMPAIRED AND DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES:
1. First Year of Training - SH 18 Step 1
2. Second Year of Training - SH 18 Step 4
DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES:
1. Entry into classification through completion of four (4) months - SH 18 Step 1
2. Completion of four (4) months through the completion of one (1) year - SH 18 Step 4
3. Completion of one (1) year through the completion of a second year - SH 21 Step 1
Note: For current state employees compensation will be in accordance with guidelines for computing salary adjustments set forth by the Department of Administrative Services, Determining Salary Upon Change in Class.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(12)-SOCIAL SERV (P-2)
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Social Worker Trainee - Social and Human Services in Salary Group SH 18 approved effective June 28, 2013. (Revised to modify Minimum Qualifications) Action No. 18-071