PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for performing the full range of basic tasks in the maintenance and operation of moveable bridges under the jurisdiction of the Connecticut Department of Transportation.
Works under the direction of an employee of higher grade; works independently with acquired experience.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Maintains the operation of moveable bridges in accordance with the standard operating procedures; keeps the bridge control houses neat and clean at all times; removes and disposes of trash; and clears the access of snow and ice; reports all mechanical problems to a designated Department of Transportation (DOT) representative as directed; maintains a neat and accurate daily bridge log or diary; logs and reports all incidents to a designated DOT representative as directed; complies with all State laws, Federal laws and U.S. Coast Guard regulations; must remain on site and not leave the post until properly relieved; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of the physical properties of standard maintenance materials; some knowledge of mechanical principles; some knowledge of the basic practices of the maintenance trades; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to use hand and power tools and make minor repairs to simpler mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment listed on the attached addendum; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; some ability to utilize computer software.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess
and retain an appropriate valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license and other licenses required by governmental authorities.
2. Attendant must be able to train new employees and relief employees to perform the duties and responsibilities of this class as required.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina and physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness so as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination will be required.
Incumbents in this class may have to work outdoors in weather extremes. They must be constantly aware of all existing weather and traffic conditions (marine and vehicular). Attendants must stay alert while working in the environment of potentially dangerous machinery, and remain alert for the duration of their shifts.
In accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreement's compensation guidelines.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Department of Transportation Drawbridge Attendant in Salary Group FM 11 approved effective November 29, 2013. (Revised to modify Compensation Guidelines as part of the NP-2 contract negotiations) Final 22-046
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintaining or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of positions in this class:
- 1/2, 3/4 ton Suburban
- 1/2, 3/4 ton pickups (2 & 4 wheel drive)
- various hand and small power tools
- operations of moveable bridges
- all custodial duties of bridge house facilities
- may be required under certain circumstances to clean sidewalks on and adjacent to structure of sand and litter
- removal of snow and ice on sidewalks and steps to maintain safe access to bridge house.