PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Departments of Labor and Revenue Services and the Connecticut Lottery Corporation this class is accountable for the collection and investigation of overdue accounts to secure the full amount of revenue owed to the State.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
This is a junior working level and is used in the following capacities:
1. In the Department of Revenue Services, Collections & Enforcement Division, independently conducts collections and investigations on an in-house basis.
2. In the Connecticut Lottery Corporation and the Department of Labor, independently conducts office or field collections and investigations of deficient or delinquent tax debtors or lottery agents.
Works under the general supervision of an employee of higher grade in the performance of routine tasks; receives closer supervision when performing more advanced tasks.
May lead clerical employees as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Contacts tax debtors or lottery agents to secure full payment; locates tax debtors or lottery agents and levy sources; seeks information relative to the financial standing of debtors; arranges for installment payments; corresponds with debtors, accountants, and attorneys; prepares investigative reports; assists taxpayers in the preparation of returns or accounts owed; identifies accounts which require issuance for warrant, hearing, abatement or attorney action and confers with employees of a higher level concerning appropriate action; conducts in-house research to resolve disputes; maintains complete and accurate records of contacts and relevant information; updates departmental records; makes recommendations pertaining to collection procedures; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of the methods and procedures used in interviewing/investigating; knowledge of accounting principles; some knowledge of and ability to interpret rules and regulations pertaining to collection procedures; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; skill in performing arithmetical computations; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Five (5) years of experience in collections, police, accounting or investigatory work in a regulatory enforcement agency, financial institution, credit bureau, retail sales credit department, industrial or governmental security agency.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of 15 semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
3. CONNECTICUT LOTTERY CORPORATION: Incumbents must obtain an occupational license in accordance with Section 12-802a of the Connecticut General Statutes.
4. Incumbents in this class may be required to speak a foreign language.
For those positions assigned to the field, incumbents in this class may be exposed to situations which could result in injury.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(16)-ADMIN & RESID (P-5)
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Revenue Agent 1 in Salary Group AR 19 approved effective February 15, 2012. (Revised to modify Special Requirements)