PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing highly skilled duties in one or more trade areas.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
Incumbents in this class will spend the majority of work time in the performance of highly skilled duties in one or more trade areas. This class is not intended to be the normal progression for all Maintainers; it should be reserved solely for agencies and facilities where trade level skills are clearly required for a major portion of an incumbent's duties. Incumbents may also be asked to perform duties in the same or related trade areas up to the level of Qualified Craft Worker.
Works under the limited supervision of a Building Maintenance Supervisor, Transportation Maintenance Crew Leader, Maintenance Supervisor or other employee of higher grade.
May lead other Qualified Craft Workers, students, seasonal help, inmates or other lower level employees as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs highly skilled design, construction, repair and alteration of medical and therapeutic equipment such as wheelchairs, mobile units, stretchers, benches, walkers, assistive ambulatory devices, adaptive toilet seats, bed sitters, bed wedges and other adaptive medical equipment; performs skilled bench work, operating such equipment as power saws, jointers, wood lathes, planers, boring, sanding, and upholstering machines and equipment, pipefitting and welding equipment and appropriate hand tools; works in consultation with medical staff in designing, measuring and fitting individuals to specialized adaptive medical equipment; works with individuals for measuring and fitting of specialized equipment; makes estimates of time, personnel and material required on assigned tasks; keeps necessary records; in smaller trade areas may be the sole worker running a skilled trade area; performs duties related to trade or similar trade areas as required; may design and fabricate needed parts and equipment for use in construction of adaptive medical equipment; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply standard tools, materials, methods and practices of the particular trade; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare estimates and keep shop records; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in the adaptive medical equipment trade area.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing skilled adaptive medical equipment trade functions.
Note: For State Employees, this is interpreted at the level of Skilled Maintainer or Transportation Maintainer 2. Housekeeping, custodial and food services duties will not be considered as qualifying experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
2. Two (2) years of experience as a Qualified Craft Worker Intern may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
3. Experience performing technical duties within the maintenance trade area on a military base, aircraft carrier or large compound may be substituted for the General and Special Experience on a year for year basis.
1. Incumbents in this class at the Department of Transportation or the Connecticut Airport Authority performing structural steel welding will be required to possess a Department of Transportation welding certification.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and to risk of injury from equipment.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(7)-Skilled Craft Workers
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Qualified Craft Worker (Adaptive Medical Equipment) (40 Hour) in Salary Group FM 17 approved effective November 29, 2013. (Revised to update and breakout parenthetical language) Action No. 19-018