PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing a full range of highly skilled duties in one of the following trade areas: electrical, plumbing and steamfitting, utilities or heating, ventilation and refrigeration.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
Incumbents in this class will spend the majority of work time in the performance of highly skilled and specialized duties in an assigned trade area. Supervising personnel may have limited technical expertise in locksmithing.
Works under the limited supervision of a Building Maintenance Supervisor, Transportation Maintenance Crew Leader, Maintenance Supervisor or other employee of higher grade.
May lead other Qualified Craft Workers, students, seasonal help, inmates or other lower level employees as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs highly skilled maintenance and/or construction work requiring application of trade skills, codes and standard trade practices in electrical, plumbing, utilities, or HVACR trade areas; makes estimates of time, personnel and determines and obtains required materials; keeps necessary records; may perform duties related to similar trade areas as required; may act as liaison with other operating units and outside contacts; may operate heavy equipment; may respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations at state owned airports; performs related duties as required. Maintains, repairs and installs locking, mechanical and electronic door closing equipment; makes new or duplicate keys and changes lock combinations using hand tools and special equipment; disassembles locks and repairs or replaces worn tumblers, springs and other parts; rebuilds cylinders; sets up and maintains key control and issuing system.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply standard tools, materials, methods and practices of locksmithing; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare estimates and keep shop records; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in locksmithing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing skilled trade functions in locksmithing.
Note: For State Employees, this is interpreted at the level of Skilled Maintainer or Transportation Maintainer 2.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
2. Two (2) years of experience as a Qualified Craft Worker Intern in a designated maintenance trade area may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
3. Experience performing technical duties within a designated maintenance trade area on a military base, aircraft carrier or large compound may be substituted for the General and Special Experience on a year for year basis.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications including possession and retention of an Unlimited Journeyperson's license in locksmithing.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain specific education and/or experience to meet various certification requirements.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles; and may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment, extreme weather conditions and/or environmental conditions.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(7)-Skilled Craft Workers
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Qualified Craft Worker (Locksmith) in Salary Group FM 18 approved effective July 10, 2015. (Revised to removed non-parenthetical language and modify content)