$23.88-$30.14 Hourly / $1,909.93-$2,410.58 BiWeekly /
This class is a recruitment and training vehicle for the classes of Airport Crash Rescue Firefighter and Firefighter. Upon successful completion of training and probationary requirements incumbents in this class will be eligible for appointment to appropriate classification in area of specialization with responsibility for protection of life and property.
1. Applicants must be authorized to work lawfully in the United States by date of appointment.
2. Applicants must have a High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certification prior to admission to the Connecticut Police Training Academy.
3. Fire personnel will be required to complete a training program as authorized by their appointing authority, which may include courses prescribed by the Connecticut Fire Department Instructors Association and State Board of Education and an Emergency Medical Technician Training Course. Connecticut Air National Guard: fire personnel will be required to complete required training as set forth by Air Force and Air National Guard policies and regulations including handling of Hazardous Materials.
4. Appointment to this class will be for a period not to exceed twelve (12) months. Provisional appointment will be made to the target class when formal training has not been completed after twelve (12) months as a Protective Services Trainee (Fire). Appointment will be made to the target class after successful completion and graduation of formal training.
5. Applicants in this class must have reached their 18th birthday.
6. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license. Connecticut Air National Guard: incumbents in this class must also possess and retain a military operator license and Department of Defense security clearance.
7. Connecticut Air National Guard: Incumbents in this class must maintain membership in the Connecticut Air National Guard and possess Air Force AFSC 57130 or be eligible to attend the Air Force Firefighting School within six months of hire.
8. Incumbents in this class may be required to obtain and retain Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic certification.
1. Incumbents in this class must have general good health, be free from any disease or injury which would impair health or usefulness and possess and retain sufficient physical strength, stamina, agility, endurance and visual and auditory acuity to perform the duties of the class. A physical fitness assessment will be required of all applicants.
2. A comprehensive medical examination, including a controlled substance screening, will be required of all applicants upon a conditional offer of employment.