PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for providing psychiatric treatment services to patients with psychiatric illnesses and substance abuse disorders.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
1. Class Code 6187 is established at Salary Group RZ 13 and is used by the following agencies:
Department of Children and Families and
University of Connecticut Health Center - Correctional Managed Health Care
2. Class Code 6183 is established at Salary Group RW 13 as part of a pilot study for recruitment and retention purposes within the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services.
Receives general direction from a senior staff psychiatrist or other medical administrator of higher grade.
May clinically supervise medical and unit staff including psychiatric residents, psychologists, physicians, social workers, therapists and clerical staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Provides 24 hour direct care psychiatric services to specified groups of patients and facility programs as scheduled including on-call and weekend coverage; examines, diagnoses and treats patients with mental health and/or substance abuse disorders; develops and monitors integrated treatment plans; makes rounds and attends treatment team meetings to check on care and progress of patients; prescribes appropriate medications; prescribes, conducts and administers group, individual and family psychotherapy and other forms of specialized therapy; interviews, examines and admits patients to treatment; performs physical examinations; coordinates treatment with other therapeutic programs; provides clinical expertise to treatment teams; performs discharge planning; performs basic risk assessment and participates in risk management planning; participates in staff conferences, committees and meetings; provides input into program planning; maintains accurate, up to date medical records and prepares required reports according to hospital policy and/or The Joint Commission (TJC) and Health Care Financing Authority (HCFA) standards; acts as liaison to hospital and/or community based providers; may provide clinical direction to other disciplines; may conduct or take part in research projects; may attend court hearings as a state witness; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of methods and principles of behavioral health medicine; knowledge of current principles and methods of assessment and treatment of patients with psychiatric illnesses and substance abuse disorders; knowledge of recent developments in field of psychiatry and substance abuse; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to examine for, diagnose, assess and treat patients with psychiatric and substance abuse disorders; ability to prescribe and conduct psychotherapy, medications and other treatments specific to psychiatric illnesses and substance abuse disorders; ability to analyze and interpret laboratory reports, x-rays and other medical and/or psychological reports and findings; ability to maintain accurate patient records and charts.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an Accredited Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) psychiatric residency program.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license to practice medicine and surgery in Connecticut. A temporary license may be granted for a period not to exceed one (1) year.
2. Incumbents in this class must obtain certification as a specialist in psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology within five years of appointment to this class OR demonstrate continued competency and proficiency in the practice of psychiatry by successfully completing an established agency program.
3. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain eligibility for participation in
federal health care programs as defined in 42 U.S. 1320a-7b(f).
4. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess appropriate current licenses, certifications or permits.
5. Incumbents in this class may be required to be bilingual.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(21)-Medical, Dental, Veterinary Medicine
(11)-HEALTH PROF (P-1)
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Staff Psychiatrist in Salary Group RZ 13 approved effective July 1, 2001. (Revised to implement 1199 MOU, DMHAS Pilot Project)
6187A 12/17/14 cm