PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Connecticut Lottery Corporation, Sales and Marketing Department this class is accountable for performing a number of complex activities to assist, enhance and facilitate Lottery Corporation efforts to promote lottery sales through established and potential retail accounts.
Works under the general supervision of the Director of Lottery Sales or other employee of higher grade.
May lead Lottery Sales Representatives 1 and other staff as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Works on special projects as assigned;
- Compiles data and prepares reports and correspondence;
- Assists with developing and conducting marketing and training programs;
- Participates in developing and implementing selected retailer incentive programs;
- May make recommendations on policies or standards;
- May review and provide input on potential lottery games or marketing products;
- May prepare special analyses or develop procedures as requested;
- May investigate complaints;
- May work with Lottery Sales Representatives to ensure coordinated sales and marketing efforts;
- May assist with implementation of marketing methods and strategies to increase statewide sales;
- May provide input and recommendations on procedural changes to enhance sales and marketing operations;
- Performs related duties as required.
- Conducts evaluations of businesses applying for lottery licenses;
- Visits sites to perform standardized evaluations concerning such elements as quality and type of product sold at site, location size, sales volume, number of employees, merchandising skill and willingness to promote lottery; analyzes demographics and traffic flow;
- Prepares summary information for management with recommendation to grant or deny a license;
- Communicates and cooperates with Lottery Sales Representative assigned to territory in which applicant business located concerning site evaluation;
- Participates in review of appeals of application denials;
- May evaluate such information as applicant tax returns to identify yearly business profit and/or revenue.
- Develops and maintains sales programs for corporate (chain store) accounts;
- Serves as liaison between Connecticut Lottery Corporation and corporate officials;
- Meets with corporate officials on a regular basis to maintain support of lottery games, keeps informed of games and products available and addresses issues and concerns;
- Develops and presents sales presentations to introduce new product information, review sales goals and quotas, recommend enhancements, initiate special promotions or demonstrations to increase interest in product and sales;
- Gains agreement from corporate management concerning distribution of point of sale and promotional materials to retailers and ensures materials current and properly displayed;
- Recruits potential corporate accounts;
- Advises retailers on ways to optimize promotions and sales;
- Interacts with marketing and corporate account advertisers to arrive at agreements on marketing approaches;
- Assists with implementation of marketing methods and strategies to increase statewide sales;
- Assists in development of point of sale materials;
- Represents position of corporate clients to Lottery Corporation officials;
- May review accounting status information for corporate accounts;
- Works with Lottery Sales Representatives to ensure coordinated sales and marketing efforts.
- Serves as liaison between area supervisor and field sales staff;
- Assigns back-up representatives to cover absences of Lottery Sales Representatives or Inside Sales Representatives;
- Researches and resolves most complex and/or sensitive retailer issues;
- Coordinates final settlement of retailer account concerning instant ticket debits and credits;
- Coordinates forced settlement of retailer account at the request of Lottery Sales Representatives;
- Checks and verifies new point of sale materials for distribution to assigned representatives at bi-weekly sales meeting;
- Conducts selected training activities;
- Provides back-up phone coverage for retailer calls.
INSIDE SALES COORDINATION:
- Supervises a unit of Inside Sales Representatives accountable for maximizing telephone sales of lottery products to established retail accounts and Processing Technicians accountable for supporting licensing process for new applicants;
- Plans unit workflow and determines priorities;
- Schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews work;
- Establishes and maintains unit procedures;
- Provides staff training and assistance;
- Conducts performance evaluations;
- Maintains office records;
- Acts as liaison with other Lottery Corporation Departments regarding unit policies and procedures;
- Researches and resolves most complex and/or sensitive retailer issues;
- Responds to telephone and written requests for information and assistance from retailers and the public;
- Participates in sales staff meetings, training sessions and special events.
- Conducts research (in the areas of location, loss of retailers, expansion of retailer activity, needed development, recommendations from field staff and/or area supervisors, etc.) to develop potential new markets and increase Lottery retailer base;
- Reports findings, evaluates areas of potential development and suggests strategies for increasing retailer network;
- Recruits potential new lottery retailers with leads, cold calls and various marketing techniques;
- Provides Lottery Officials and/or Management with updates and information from potential retailer markets, findings discovered concerning lottery and lottery related products;
- Provides weekly progress reports and updates on recruitment efforts;
- Works with Key Account Division to target Corporate Accounts with potential to become lottery accounts and assists in development of sales presentations and marketing strategies to obtain accounts;
- Interacts with Licensing to obtain pertinent information to properly license potential retailers;
- Provides informational presentations on Lottery related equipment to potential retailers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Knowledge of
- lottery process, games and promotional materials;
- sales promotion techniques;
- advertising and display methods;
- methods and techniques of retailer site analysis;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Skill in performing arithmetical computations;
- Ability to
- conduct market research studies;
- recognize non-compliance and procedural irregularities;
- analyze statistical, financial and demographic data;
- investigate complaints;
- read, understand, apply and interpret pertinent rules and regulations;
- keep accurate records and prepare reports;
- train others;
- lead others.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in sales or a closely related field.
NOTE: Sales is defined as having direct responsibility for servicing established accounts and/or contacting prospects to promote products for a company. Examples of acceptable experience include the sale of grocery products to supermarkets, sale of liquor, beer, soft drinks, etc. to stores and restaurants or promoting incentive and other sales programs to retailers. Examples of unacceptable experience include route sales involving only merchandise delivery, sale of insurance or real estate or experience as a sales clerk or cashier in a store, restaurant or other enterprise.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
- One (1) year of experience as a Lottery Sales Representative 1 may be substituted for the General Experience.
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
This class has been designated as an entrepreneurial sales class pursuant to Section 12-802 of the Connecticut General Statutes. Positions designated as entrepreneur subject to an agreement with the Connecticut Lottery Corporation, will be placed in alternate pay plan VR 99. The Connecticut Lottery Corporation shall determine whether applicants are qualified to fill positions in this class.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(31)-Public Relations and Information
(07)-ADMN CLERICAL (NP-3)
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Lottery Sales Representative 2 in Salary Group VR 99 approved effective January 10, 2014. (Revised to modernize format and add Acknowledgement section) Final No. 23-124