PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Motor Vehicles, Commercial Vehicle Safety Division this class is accountable for acting as a working supervisor for Motor Vehicle Inspectors engaged in commercial motor vehicle related inspections or investigations.
Receives general direction from a Motor Vehicle Lieutenant or other official of higher grade.
Supervises Motor Vehicle Inspectors, Protective Services Trainees, and other staff as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Supervises assigned staff, including orientation, training, counseling, evaluation and discipline in accordance with department standards; assigns duties and reviews results for accuracy, effectiveness and conformance with policy; reviews and evaluates courtesy and attitude toward public; studies, analyzes and evaluates tasks performed by unit; keeps records and submits pertinent reports; inspects motor vehicles, or investigates and resolves issues appropriate to assigned unit, e.g. stolen/abandoned vehicles, dealer/repairer licenses, truck inspection/enforcement; explains motor vehicle laws and regulations to public; may make public presentations; participates in and may conduct training; may take enforcement action under Title 14 as needed in performance of inspection or investigatory functions; may testify at administrative hearings or in court; may participate in administration of operator license examinations; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of motor vehicle laws, regulations and safety standards; considerable knowledge of parts, equipment and operation of motor vehicles; considerable knowledge of proper repair methods; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to conduct investigations and prepare written reports; considerable mechanical ability; ability to conduct road tests and analyze applicant performance; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience as a Motor Vehicle Inspector.
1. Incumbents in this class must receive and retain authority from the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles to arrest and present before the designated authority any person for violation of any statute or regulation relating to motor vehicles. (Connecticut General Statutes, Section 14-8)
2. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license. At time of appointment incumbent must have a motor vehicle driving record satisfactory to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.
3. Incumbents in this class must have reached their 21st birthday.
4. Incumbents in this class must be eligible and qualified to bear arms.
5. Incumbents must possess and maintain certification as a law enforcement officer in the State of Connecticut pursuant to Section 7-294a-e of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies and the regulations promulgated by the Police Officer Standards and Training Council.
6. Incumbents in this class must successfully complete training for and receive inspection authority as defined in Section 14-163c-9 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies within six (6) months of their initial appointment to this class. The requirement to complete such training within six (6) months of initial appointment may be extended by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles in the event that the training is not readily available and cannot be scheduled and completed within six (6) months. Should this occur, training shall be scheduled and taken at the first available opportunity after date of initial appointment to the class. Any extension shall only be granted for the time necessary to complete the first available training after date of initial appointment. Incumbents must retain this inspection authority for the duration of their service within this class.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have general good health, be free from any disease or injury which would impair job performance and have sufficient strength, stamina, agility, endurance and visual and auditory acuity necessary to perform all the duties of the class.
2. Applicants may be required to pass a physical examination.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to a moderate amount of physical exertion in inspecting vehicles, to some degree of injury from carbon monoxide fumes and from conducting road tests, to some degree of injury in performing their inspections of heavy vehicles, and moderately disagreeable conditions encountered working outdoors.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(09)-PROTECT SERV (NP-5)
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Motor Vehicle Sergeant in Salary Group PS 13 approved March 9, 2012. (Revised to implement Stipulated Agreement and adjust Salary Group) Action No. 20-053