PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Motor Vehicles this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of inspection and investigation activity pertaining to motor vehicles, dealer and repairer facilities and licensing, vehicle safety, consumer complaints, alleged offenses and verification of pertinent documentation.
Works under the general supervision of a Motor Vehicle Sergeant or other employee of higher grade.
May lead Protective Services Trainees, clerical personnel or other lower level employees as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Inspects motor vehicles for conformance to established statutory, regulatory and policy standards, safety requirements, verification of ownership, authentication of vehicle identification number and related equipment and documentation; completes necessary forms and reports; maintains files; takes possession of marker plates and registration of violators where necessary; authenticates vehicles with missing, altered or replaced vehicle identification numbers; investigates misuse of marker plates and takes appropriate corrective action; inspects sites of proposed, existing or unlicensed facilities and/or locations for compliance with all applicable requirements; investigates and resolves complaints against regulated businesses; exchanges information with local and state police and/or other state or federal agencies; explains motor vehicle laws, regulations, policies and procedures to the public and informs individuals or business concerns of any violations or deficiencies found through inspection and/or examination process and what corrective actions must be taken; conducts special inspections and/or investigations of criminal and other activities as assigned; assigns and affixes numbers to authenticated vehicles as necessary; may impound stolen vehicles; may make arrests, issue summons, serve warrants or appear in court as arresting officer or witness for violation of statutes relating to motor vehicles; may conduct safety training courses; may be required to maintain building security and perform patrol duties at time of heightened alert level under Homeland Security procedures; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of parts, equipment and operation of motor vehicles; considerable knowledge of proper repair methods; knowledge of and ability to apply motor vehicle laws, regulations and safety standards; knowledge of inspection methods and techniques; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to conduct investigations and prepare written reports; considerable ability to operate a motor vehicle; considerable mechanical ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Certification as a law enforcement officer in the State of Connecticut pursuant to regulations promulgated by the Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training Council.
Note: Candidates with a pending recertification status may be employed on a temporary basis pending recertification by the Connecticut Police Training Academy.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Successful completion of prescribed training and probationary requirements set forth in the class of Protective Services Trainee.
1. Incumbents in this class must receive and retain authority from the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles to "arrest and present before the designated authority any person for violation of any statute or regulation relating to motor vehicles." (Connecticut General Statutes Section 14-8).
2. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license. At time of appointment incumbents must have a motor vehicle driving record satisfactory to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.
3. Incumbents in this class must have reached their 21st birthday.
4. Incumbents in this class must be eligible and qualified to bear arms.
5. Incumbents in this class must successfully complete training for and receive inspection authority as defined in Section 14-163c-9 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies within six (6) months of their initial appointment to this class. The requirement to complete such training within six months of initial appointment may be extended by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles in the event that the training is not readily available and cannot be scheduled and completed within six months. Should this occur, training shall be scheduled and taken at the first available opportunity after date of initial appointment to the class. Any extension shall only be granted for the time necessary to complete the first available training after date of initial appointment. Incumbents must retain this inspection authority for the duration of their service within this class.
6. Candidates for this class are subject to selection standards pursuant to Section 7-294a-e of the Connecticut General Statutes and the Regulations of the Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training Council.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess good health, be free from any disease or injury which would impair job performance and possess and retain sufficient strength, stamina, agility, visual and auditory acuity necessary to perform all the duties of the class.
2. Applicants may be required to pass a physical examination.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to a moderate amount of physical exertion in inspecting vehicles, to some degree of injury from carbon monoxide fumes, conducting road tests and performing traffic stops and inspections of heavy vehicles and moderately disagreeable conditions encountered working outdoors.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(09)-PROTECT SERV (NP-5)
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Motor Vehicle Inspector in Salary Group PS 11 approved effective March 9, 2012. (Revised to implement Stipulated Agreement and adjust Salary Group) Action No. 20-053