PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, this class is accountable for performing mosquito elimination work as assigned.
Receives general direction from an Environmental Analyst or other employee of higher grade.
May supervise Environmental Protection Maintainers and other staff as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs ditching and draining of mosquito breeding areas; inspects ditches for proper function and removes debris; maintains and repairs existing control structures such as ditches, tide gates and culverts; performs minor construction duties such as small tide gates and culverts; operates spray equipment, investigates complaints on mosquito breeding areas; inspects meadows for possible breeding areas; performs open marsh water management construction duties; operates heavy equipment such as clamshell diggers and rotary diggers; keeps records and prepares reports; during winter, repairs and maintains equipment; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Basic knowledge of methods of mosquito control; basic knowledge of physical properties of standard construction materials; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in agricultural, construction or general maintenance and repair work.
1. Incumbents in this class will be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications includinga valid pesticide applicator license.
2. Incumbents in his class will be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, visual and auditory acuity and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift and exposed to discomfort from extreme weather conditions, mosquitos and risk of injury from equipment.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Mosquito Control Specialist in Salary Group TC 18 approved July 17, 2012. (2013 SCOPE Review)