PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state health, academic or diagnostic laboratory this class is accountable for performing routine, non-technical laboratory work with emphasis on cleaning and sterilizing glassware, instruments and laboratory utensils and preparing laboratories/materials for tests, experiments and/or research.
Initially works under the close supervision of an employee of higher grade; works more independently with acquired experience.
Generally does not exercise supervision.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Cleans and sterilizes glassware, utensils and laboratory instruments;
- Cleans laboratory;
- Prepares and labels laboratory products and specimen/sample kits for mailing and distribution;
- Collects and prepares samples for analysis;
- Pours media into test tubes;
- Plugs and sterilizes test tubes;
- Operates basic laboratory equipment such as autoclaves, washers, centrifuges, dry ovens and trip balances;
- Receives and numbers incoming specimens/samples;
- Keeps records of samples, supplies and equipment and assists in maintaining laboratory inventory;
- Feeds, waters and cares for laboratory animals;
- May prepare simple media, solutions and reagents according to written instructions;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Ability to
- understand and carry out written and oral instructions;
- keep simple records and perform simple arithmetical calculations;
- Manual dexterity.
Experience and/or training that could be expected to provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
Incumbents in this class must be willing to undergo periodic tests or immunization for communicable diseases as necessary.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift standard laboratory equipment, trays/boxes of glassware and/or bodies; may be exposed to some risk of injury from such things as rabid animals, broken glass, toxic vapors, toxic and/or disease carrying substances; may be exposed to moderately disagreeable conditions.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Laboratory Aide (40 Hour) in Salary Group FK 10 approved effective June 23, 1995. (Revised to add Acknowledgement section and modify content) Final No. 23-090