PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for providing part time medical treatment services to patients.
Receives general direction from a senior physician or other medical administrator of higher grade.
May clinically advise medical and unit staff including physicians, nurses, therapists and clerical staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Provides 24 hour medical supervision to specified groups of patients and facility coverage as scheduled, including on-call and weekend coverage; examines, diagnoses and medically treats patients; develops and monitors integrated treatment plans; interviews, examines and admits patients to treatment; performs physical examinations; orders, analyzes and interprets medical and laboratory tests; prescribes appropriate medications and treatments; coordinates treatment with other therapeutic programs; provides medical expertise and consultation to treatment teams; orders and monitors special treatment procedures; performs discharge planning; participates in staff meetings; maintains accurate, up-to-date medical records and prepares required reports according to hospital policy and/or JCAHO and HCFA standards; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of methods and principles of medicine and surgery; knowledge of current principles and methods of assessment and treatment of patients with medical illness, mental illness and substance abuse disorders; knowledge of recent developments in field of medicine and substance abuse; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to examine for diagnose, assess and treat patients with medical and/or substance abuse disorders; ability to prescribe appropriate medications and other treatments specific to medical illness, mental illness and substance abuse disorders; ability to analyze and interpret laboratory reports, x-rays and other medical reports and findings; ability to maintain accurate patient records and charts.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Completion of one year of a residency program.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a license to practice medicine and surgery in Connecticut. A temporary license may be granted for a period not to exceed one (1) year.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to demonstrate continued competency and proficiency in the practice of medicine by successfully completing an established agency program.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to be board certified in internal medicine, family medicine or neurology.
4. Incumbents must possess and maintain eligibility for participation in federal health care programs as defined in 42 U.S. 1320a-7b(f).
5. Incumbents in this class may be required to be bilingual.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(21)-Medical, Dental, Veterinary Medicine
(11)-HEALTH PROF (P-1)
4662A 12/12/01 pzd