PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services this class is accountable for providing medical treatment services to individuals.
Receives general direction from a senior physician or other medical administrator of higher grade.
May clinically lead/supervise medical and unit staff including physicians, nurses and clerical staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Provides 24 hour medical supervision to specified groups of individuals and facility coverage as scheduled including on-call and weekend coverage; examines, diagnoses and medically treats individuals; develops and monitors integrated treatment plans; makes rounds and attends treatment team meetings to check on care and progress of individuals; prescribes appropriate medications; interviews, examines and admits individuals to treatment; orders appropriate medical and laboratory tests; performs physical examinations; provides medical expertise to treatment teams; participates in staff conferences, committees and meetings; provides input into program planning; maintains accurate, up-to-date medical records and prepares required reports according to hospital policy and/or The Joint Commission (TJC) and Health Care Financing Authority (HCFA) standards; orders and monitors special treatment procedures; acts as liaison to hospital and/or community based providers; may coordinate treatment with other therapeutic programs; may provide medical direction to other disciplines; may perform discharge planning; may conduct or take part in research projects; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of methods and principles of medicine and surgery; knowledge of current principles and methods of assessment and treatment of individuals with medical illness, mental illness and substance abuse disorders; knowledge of recent developments in field of medicine and substance abuse; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to examine for, diagnose, assess and treat individuals with medical illness, mental illness and substance abuse disorders; ability to prescribe appropriate medications and other treatments specific to medical illness, mental illness and substance abuse disorders; ability to analyze and interpret laboratory reports, x-ray reports, and other medical reports and findings; ability to maintain accurate individual records and charts.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an Accredited Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) residency program.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license to practice medicine and surgery in Connecticut. A temporary license may be granted for a period not to exceed one (1) year.
2. Incumbents in this class must obtain certification as a specialist in internal medicine within five years of appointment to this class OR demonstrate continued competency and proficiency in the practice of medicine by successfully completing an established agency program.
3. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain eligibility for participation in federal health care programs as defined in 42 U.S. § 1320a-7b(f).
4. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
5. Incumbents in this class may be required to be bilingual.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(21)-Medical, Dental, Veterinary Medicine
(11)-HEALTH PROF (P-1)
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Staff Physician (DMHAS) in Salary Group RW13 approved effective December 26, 2014. (Revised to add Special Requirement)