PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
At the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of skilled agricultural work (e.g. requiring prior experience or training which would give the incumbent proficiency in required knowledge, skills and abilities on the first day of the job; only very few highly complex tasks would be learned on the job) in the areas of: general farm labor (crops, produce, orchards) and plant science.
Works under the general supervision of an employee of higher grade.
May lead Agricultural Worker Trainees and other staff as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Independently performs skilled agricultural tasks in the operation and maintenance of complex land preparation, planting and harvesting;
- Performs minor maintenance and repair of greenhouse buildings and barns;
- Prunes, pinches and supports plants;
- Grafts and transplants trees, plants, and flowers;
- Keeps records and prepares reports;
- Performs the full range of duties as outlined in the Agricultural Worker Trainee specification;
- May spray pesticides on various crops and weeds;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Knowledge of the methods used in the culture and propagation of crops, produce, plants, flowers, and orchards;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to
- operate and maintain equipment related to the particular agricultural area;
- follow oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of experience in one of the following areas, related to the specific needs of the position:
- general farm labor
- plant science
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in agriculture or a related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
- Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
- Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
- A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and to risk of injury from equipment or animals.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(7)-Skilled Craft Workers
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Farmer (37.5 Hour) in Salary Group TC 13 approved effective November 29, 2013. (Reviewed for content. Revised to modernize format and add Acknowledgement section) Final No. 24-006
The following list of vehicles and equipment are examples which a Farmer may operate and maintain: All vehicles and equipment listed in lower level Agricultural Worker series plus:
OPERATE THE FOLLOWING VEHICLES
- 5-ton dump truck
- cherry picker
- front end loader
- tractors with attachments
- pickup truck with plow
USE AND MAINTAIN THE FOLLOWING EQUIPMENT
- steam cleaning equipment
- soil sampling apparatus