PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection this class is accountable for performing a variety of skilled tasks as assigned.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
This class represents the advanced working level within the Environmental Protection Maintainer class series. Incumbents in this class perform a full range of maintenance and skilled trade tasks. Use of this class is intended for incumbents who:
1. Act as the assistant to an Environmental Protection Park and Recreation Supervisor, Environmental Protection Fish Hatchery Supervisor and/or
2. Perform skilled trade work in areas such as carpentry, masonry, painting, roal and trail maintenance, etc. and/or
3. Perform highly skilled trade work in the fish propagation program when assigned to the fish hatchery and/or
4. Transport and operate heavy equipment.
Works under the limited supervision of an Environmental Protection Park and Recreation Supervisor or other employee of higher grade.
May lead or assist in supervision of Environmental Protection Maintainers of lower grade and seasonal employees.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs skilled work in such areas as carpentry, masonry, painting, road and trail maintenance and minor electrical repairs; performs general maintenance work on lands, buildings, dams and other facilities owned by or under control of department; uses, maintains and repairs hand and power tools and equipment such as saws, axes, cant hooks, mowing equipment, tractors, trucks, boats and related equipment; uses and maintains fire fighting equipment; assists in job planning and may supervise maintenance operations; assists in liberating wildlife; performs emergency first aid as needed; may supervise volunteer and other fire fighting personnel; may do planting, transplanting, cutting and pruning; may perform tasks relating to care, propagation and stocking of fish including maintenance and repair of hatchery and stocking equipment; may work with blueprints and specifications; may work with support services in areas of general maintenance of lands, buildings and dams; may perform patrol and fire fighting activities; may perform clerical duties of very limited duration; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of map reading and measuring devices; some knowledge of simple record keeping; interpersonal skills; considerable ability to operate and make repairs to small tools and mechanical equipment; ability to follow general instructions; ability to read and understand nautical charts; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in maintenance and repair work related to natural resources.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a secondary school with specialization in a trade pertinent to the operation, maintenance and development of natural resources and one (1) year of the General Experience.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to obtain and retain a Standard First Aid certificate and CPR certificate.
2. Incumbents engaged in the operation of heavy equipment will be required to possess and retain the necessary current licenses, permits and or certifications as required by Federal and State laws and regulations.
3. Incumbents performing skilled trade work may be required to possess and retain appropriate current licenses and or certifications as required by a particular trade.
4. Incumbents may be required to operate a motor vehicle and to possess and retain the appropriate valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license, such as a Commercial Driver's License.
Incumbents in this class must be in good health and must have and retain sufficient physical strength, stamina, agility, visual and auditory acuity to effectively perform the duties of the class.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury working under varying weather conditions, lifting moderate weights and handling chemical solutions.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(09)-PROTECT SERV (NP-5)
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Environmental Protection Maintainer 3 in Salary Group PS 08 approved effective November 20, 2009. (2012 SCOPE Review)