PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a correctional facility this class is accountable for supervision and administration of an assigned nursing, mental health or related specialty unit including the direction and coordination of staff in order to ensure that the highest quality of nursing and/or mental health care is provided for the inmate population.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
1. Incumbents in this class are assigned to work in correctional facilities under the management of the University of Connecticut Health Center, Correctional Managed Health Care unit (UCHC-CMHC).
2. Incumbents in this class assigned to the Department of Correction, Health and Addiction Services Unit, supervise or lead Nurses (Correctional Facility) and provide targeted infection control services to inmates within correctional facilities and to those re-entering the community in order to protect the health and safety of inmates, staff and the public.
Works under the general supervision of a Supervising Nurse (Correctional Facility) or other employee of higher grade.
Supervises Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, inmate workers and/or other assigned staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT HEALTH CENTER, CORRECTIONAL MANAGED HEALTH CARE: Leads planning of care and implementation of nursing process; coordinates nursing and/or mental health unit workflow; determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews work; establishes and maintains unit procedures; identifies staff development needs; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; ensures controlled drugs are properly stored, administered and ordered; leads professional and paraprofessional nursing staff in provision of inmate general and mental health care; instructs staff regarding policies and procedures; maintains and promotes standards of nursing; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; may participate in interdisciplinary meetings; may make recommendations on policies or standards; may prepare reports and correspondence; may physically restrain inmates, quell disturbances and otherwise assist mental health and correction staff in emergencies; performs related duties as required.
DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTION: Leads planning and implementation of infection control services with inmates; assures quality performance in implementation of infection control program by contracted health care provider; provides education and training to inmates including infection prevention and control; monitors and ensures quality care through observation and evaluation; maintains records and makes reports; may develop infection prevention curriculum and educational materials for inmate education; may physically restrain inmates, quell disturbances and otherwise assist mental health and correction staff in emergencies; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to independently apply nursing principles, techniques and standards; considerable knowledge of medication, their actions, interactions, uses and side effects; knowledge of general and mental health conditions and treatment interventions through utilization of assessment, nursing diagnosis, outcome, identification, health planning, implementation and re-evalution; knowledge of and sensitivity to cultural and socio-economic differences; knowledge of emergency and operating room nursing procedures and techniques; knowledge of teaching, counseling and evaluation principles and techniques; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to act as a role model to health care staff; ability to interview; ability to develop curricula; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years experience as a Registered Professional Nurse.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
A Bachelor's degree in nursing may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
1. Candidates may be required to have experience working with adolescents or in women's health or mental health care.
2. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a current license or temporary permit as a Registered Professional Nurse in Connecticut.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to be fluent in a foreign language or proficient in the use of the American Sign Language in certain designated positions.
4. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
5. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for permanent appointment.
Incumbents in this class must possess general good health and retain sufficient stamina, agility, visual and auditory acuity necessary to perform all duties of the class. Incumbents are required to pass a physical examination.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift and restrain inmates; may have some exposure to communicable and/or infectious diseases and risk of injury from assaultive and/or abusive inmates; may be exposed to disagreeable conditions.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(11)-HEALTH PROF (P-1)
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Head Nurse (Correctional Facility) in Salary Group HC 26 approved effective December 31, 2007. (Revised to modify General Experience and Special Requirements)