PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a Department of Correction facility this class is accountable for providing assistance and guidance to inmates as a member of a treatment team.
Initially works under the general supervision of a custody or treatment employee of higher grade in the performance of routine tasks; receives closer supervision when performing more advanced tasks.
May supervise inmates and/or lower level treatment staff members.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Supervises and counsels inmates and advises inmates regarding day-to-day problems, relationships with staff, inmates and others with a view toward improvement of inmate attitudes and outlook; consults with officers and professional staff regarding behavior and personal problems of inmates and recommends action to be taken; assists non-professional and professional members of a treatment team in recognizing and handling inmate behavioral problems; participates in group discussions relating to assigned inmates; assists in orientation programs for new inmates and correctional staff; works directly with members of counseling treatment and training staff in implementation of treatment, mental health and community release programs; maintains complete files and records for assigned cases; handles custodial responsibilities such as taking counts, supervision and housekeeping of a unit; assists with discharge paperwork and planning; may be assigned to work with special needs inmates (i.e., mentally ill or developmentally disabled inmates); may be required to collect urine samples and/or conduct on-site urinalysis to determine inmate drug and/or alcohol usage; may physically restrain inmates, quell disturbances and otherwise assist custodial forces in emergencies; performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of sociological and psychological concepts with emphasis on criminal behavior and behavior of inmates who are mentally ill and/or developmentally disabled; knowledge of cultural competencies and ethical standards; knowledge of current correctional practices; knowledge of basic guidance and counseling techniques; basic knowledge of community resources; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in providing assistance and guidance to individuals with behavioral, mental health or substance abuse issues.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
One (1) year of employment in a correctional setting performing custody and/or treatment duties and thirty (30) college credits, twelve (12) of which must be in the behavioral sciences and/or criminal justice, may be substituted for the General Experience.
1. Incumbents in this class are required to possess a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certification at the time of appointment.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to successfully complete a formal training course in correctional work to develop the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the class.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
4. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
5. Incumbents in this class may be required to speak a foreign language.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have general good health, be free from any disease or injury which would impair health or usefulness and possess and retain sufficient physical strength, stamina, agility, endurance and visual and auditory acuity required to perform all the duties of the class.
2. A comprehensive medical examination, including a controlled substance screening, will be required of all applicants upon a conditional offer of employment.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to considerable danger of injury or assault by inmates.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(08)-CORR OFFICERS (NP-4)
This replaces the existing specification for the title of Correctional Treatment Officer in Salary Group CO 08 approved effective May 18, 2012. (2015 SCOPE Review)