PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Correction this class is accountable for either supervising correctional staff engaged in custodial work or for performing specialized assignments.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
This class is used in one of the following ways:
1. To provide assistance to a Captain in supervising an assigned shift or for supervising an assigned shift in the absence of a Captain.
2. To perform specialized assignments which may include supervising staff, overseeing and coordinating security and/or tactical operations, supervising inmate transportation and/or overseeing and coordinating training activities.
Works under the general direction of an officer of higher rank.
Supervises Correction Officers and other personnel as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Assists a Captain in supervising a large complement of officers on an assigned shift or as a shift supervisor; in absence of a Captain assumes responsibility for custody and security of inmates, building and grounds; assigns personnel to posts and makes frequent inspections to evaluate performance of officers, effective manning of posts and enforcement of rules and regulations; oversees staff in performing sensitive investigations and/or tactical operations as well as maintaining sensitive information; responsible for responding to crisis situations in a supervisory capacity; determines training needs for facility or facilities personnel; performs administrative tasks necessary to ensure training is conducted; conducts training sessions for personnel in facility and conducts training sessions for Maloney Center for Training and Staff Development;; assists in supervising inmate counts; reviews and acts on reports submitted by officers and/or other departmental staff; prepares and submits reports on operational/investigatory/tactical activities and supervises maintenance of reports and records on operations; makes staff evaluations; chairs disciplinary committee; may be responsible for transportation and guarding of inmates away from premises; may counsel inmates and staff; may assist in training new officers in procedures and regulations; may assist in updating post orders or unit directives; may physically restrain inmates, quell disturbances and otherwise assist security forces in emergencies; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of modern correctional methods and practices; knowledge of policies and procedures utilized in correctional facilities; knowledge of the appropriate methods of discipline applied to inmates; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; ability to accurately evaluate situations and make effective administrative and supervisory decisions; ability to utilize computer software; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in correctional work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in corrections, behavioral sciences or criminal justice may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of one (1) year.
1. Incumbents in this class are required to possess a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certification.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license, a Commercial Driver's License, or both.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have general good health, be free from any disease or injury which would impair health or usefulness and possess and retain sufficient physical strength, stamina, agility, endurance and visual and auditory acuity required to perform all the duties of the class.
2. A comprehensive medical examination, including a controlled substance screening, may be required of applicants.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to a considerable danger of injury or assault by inmates.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Correctional Lieutenant in Salary Group SC 99 approved effective February 11, 2011. (Revised to modify content)