$19.28-$24.87 Hourly / $1,542.80-$1,989.24 BiWeekly /
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing a full range of general clerical functions including basic processing, reception, filing, record keeping, bookkeeping and typing.
Initially works under the close supervision of an employee of higher grade; works more independently with acquired experience.
1. TYPING: Using a typewriter, personal computer and other electronic equipment types a variety of materials from rough copy or electronic recording device including correspondence, memos, reports, forms, applications, bills and other documents and records with speed and accuracy; reviews and corrects drafts for conformance with originals; enters and retrieves data on personal computers and computer terminals.
2. FILING: Maintains logs; sets up and maintains records and files according to established procedures; (e.g. alpha, numeric or chronological order); searches files for information.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Prepares and sends out standard form letters making minor revisions or additions.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares reports.
5. INTERPERSONAL: Answers phone, transfers calls and takes messages; receives and directs visitors; handles routine requests for information, procedural guidelines or assistance over the telephone or in person; (e.g. counter, reception and/or information desk).
6. PROCESSING: Receives, sorts and distributes mail; performs a variety of basic processing tasks (e.g., sorts, numbers, codes and files materials), reviews materials for accuracy and completeness (ensures categorical information is completed as required), makes changes per instructions or as authorized, verifies information through cross-referencing of existing computer and/or manual files or inquiries by phone or form letter to sender or other work units; does routine posting to ledgers, account books or other records; receives payments for licenses, bills, applications, fines and fees, etc.; prepares, totals and balances receipts; prepares cash transmittal/deposit slips; types and prepares purchase requisitions, orders or billing invoices according to established procedures; assists in or maintains inventory and orders supplies; performs related duties as required.
Knowledge of office procedures including proper telephone usage and filing; knowledge of spelling, punctuation and grammar; skill in typing a variety of materials; basic interpersonal skill; basic oral and written communication skills; basic skill in performing arithmetical computations; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers, computer terminals and other electronic equipment; ability to perform basic clerical tasks such as coding, sorting, alphabetizing and numeric ordering.