$16.66-$20.85 Hourly / $1,332.61-$1,667.82 BiWeekly /
This class is accountable for performing a full range of general clerical functions, including basic processing, reception, filing, record keeping and bookkeeping.
Initially works under the close supervision of an employee of higher grade; works more independently with acquired experience.
1. TYPING: Enters and retrieves data on personal computers and computer terminals; types a variety of forms, cards, labels, envelopes, routine memos, etc.
2. FILING: Maintains logs; sets up and maintains records and files according to established procedures (e.g. alpha, numeric or chronological order); searches files for information.
3. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares reports.
4. INTERPERSONAL: Answers phone, transfers calls and takes messages; receives and directs visitors; handles routine requests for information or assistance over the telephone or in person (e.g. counter, reception/information desk).
5. PROCESSING: Copies and collates materials; prepares routine forms and correspondence making minor revisions and additions; receives, sorts and distributes mail; performs a variety of basic and repetitive processing tasks, e.g. sorts, numbers, codes and files materials, reviews materials for accuracy and completeness (ensures categorical information completed as required), makes changes per instructions or as authorized, verifies information through cross-referencing of existing computer and/or manual files or inquiries by phone or form letter to senders or other work units; assists in or maintains inventory and orders supplies; performs related duties as required.
Some knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation; basic skills in performing arithmetic computations; basic interpersonal skills; ability to perform basic clerical tasks such as coding, sorting, alphabetizing and numeric ordering; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to file; ability to operate office equipment.
Any experience and training that could reasonably be expected to provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above.
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Clerk in Salary Group CL 8 approved effective January 23, 1995. (2009 SCOPE Review)