PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In large state facilities, this class is accountable for directing all psychological services. In the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services, Office of the Commissioner this class is accountable for acting as the assistant director of psychological services for the department.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
This class is used in large mental health hospitals with multifaceted psychological services such as Connecticut Valley Hospital, Mansfield Training School, Southbury Training School or other comparable size facility which includes internship and post doctoral training programs.
Receives administrative direction from the agency head, superintendent or other administrative official of higher grade.
Directs staff of psychological services.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Directs staff and operations of psychological services;
- Coordinates, plans and manages psychological services;
- Formulates program goals and objectives;
- Develops or assists in development of related policy;
- Interprets and administers pertinent laws;
- Evaluates staff;
- Prepares or assists in preparation of psychological services budget;
- Maintains contacts with individuals within and outside of psychological services who might impact on program activities;
- Develops and implements new techniques and procedures to improve quality of services;
- Investigates complaints relating to patient and/or client abuse and employee problems;
- Directs and conducts psychological training programs;
- Stimulates professional development which may involve supervising or conducting research studies and preparing professional articles and reports;
- Supervises maintenance of inventory control on psychology department equipment;
- Directs public education programs and may participate in speaking engagements;
- Leads the recruitment and hiring of staff, including outreach, interview and selection;
- May conduct individual and group psychotherapy, behavior modification procedures and psychological evaluations;
- May serve as executive director of an out patient clinic;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Considerable knowledge of
- relevant state and federal laws, statutes, regulations and professional standards;
- psychological disciplines and methodology with special emphasis on either a clinical or consulting approach depending on nature of assignment;
- Knowledge of
- and ability to apply management principles and practices;
- new developments in field of psychology;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Considerable ability to
- design, implement and evaluate new services and programs;
- appraise effectiveness of existing operations;
- prepare complex administrative and professional reports;
- Ability to
- prepare grant applications and budgets;
NOTE: Consulting psychology is defined as including all professional psychological services which are not clinical in nature and incorporate the following specialized areas of knowledge: social, personality and abnormal psychology, research design, psychometrics and statistics, behavioral analysis, measure of individual ability (i.e. interest, attitude, aptitude, achievement and intelligence tests), vocational rehabilitation, community outreach consultation, group dynamics and learning and child and adolescent psychology.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Doctorate degree in psychology and two (2) years of post doctoral experience as a licensed psychologist in a supervisory capacity in a program involving the supervision of psychologists.
NOTE: For state employees this experience is interpreted as two (2) years of experience at the level of a Supervising Psychologist 2 (Consulting).
- Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license to practice psychology in Connecticut.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(1)-Officials And Administrators
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Director of Psychological Services (Consulting) in Salary Group MP 69 approved effective April 1, 2022. (Revised to adjust salary group) Item No. 22-123R