PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Office of the State Comptroller this class is accountable for directing the programs and activities of a division with major statewide impact.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
This class is used in one of the following capacities:
- Accounts Payable Division
- Budget and Financial Analysis Division
- CORE-CT Division
- Healthcare Policy and Benefit Services Division
- Payroll Services Division
- Retirement Services Division
Receives administrative direction from the State Comptroller, Deputy State Comptroller or other administrative official of higher grade.
Directs staff of the division.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Directs staff and operations of division; develops, implements and evaluates division policies, goals and objectives; coordinates, plans and manages division activities; formulates program goals and objectives; develops or assists in development of related policy; implements new procedures and procedural revisions; interprets and administers pertinent laws; evaluates staff; prepares or assists in preparation of division budget; maintains contacts with individuals within and outside of division who may impact on program activities; may direct auditing, validation and payment of all claims against the state; may direct planning, coordinating and implementing of administration and policy for statewide accounting and financial program activities; may direct maintenance and analysis of expenditure and revenue data for all state funds and analysis and preparation of fiscal impact statements pertaining to changes in employee benefit provisions; may direct timely processing of all state payrolls and related documents; may direct personnel and business management functions; may direct data processing and operations area; may direct retirement and employee benefits functions; may direct information technology initiatives; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of relevant agency policies and procedures pertaining to overall agency and specific division; considerable knowledge of operations of state departments and institutions; considerable knowledge of governmental and commercial accounting principles and practices; knowledge of collective bargaining process; knowledge of data processing systems and operations; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills.
Retirement Services and Healthcare Policy and Benefit Services Divisions: Considerable knowledge of employee pension plans or other employee benefit programs.
CORE-CT Division: Considerable knowledge of enterprise systems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Ten (10) years of experience in accounting, auditing, business administration with a major emphasis in an accounting area, information technology, the administration of employee pension plans or other benefit programs, or legal experience in the area of benefits administration.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of the General Experience must have been in a managerial capacity.
- Managerial capacity is defined as formulating program goals and objectives, developing and implementing program procedures, initiating program policies, developing and monitoring the budget.
- For state employees managerial capacity is defined at or above the level of Accounting Manager or State Comptroller Assistant Division Director.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training in accounting, computer science, or business administration may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
- A Master's degree in accounting or business administration may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience: Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor.
- A law degree from an accredited school of law may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(1)-Officials And Administrators
This replaces the existing specification for the class of State Comptroller Division Director in Salary Group MP 73 approved effective January 19, 2018. (Revised to modify content) Item No. 22-056