PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Departments of Developmental Services and Social Services, this class is accountable for supervising Developmental Services Case Managers or Social Workers in a region or training school.
Receives general direction from a Developmental Services Assistant Regional Director or other employee of higher grade.
Supervises professional and clerical staff assigned to the case management programs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews the work of staff; provides staff training and assistance; conducts performance evaluations; determines priorities and plans unit work; establishes and maintains unit procedures; develops or makes recommendations on development of policies and standards; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; prepares reports and correspondence; secures information concerning latest developments and trends in intellectual disabilities and updates Case Managers accordingly; explains departmental programs, policies and procedures to workers, clients and the public; consults with or advises staff to consult with psychological and multi-disciplinary personnel as appropriate; observes planning support team meetings to insure compliance with DDS policies and utilization of good team process skills; makes assessments of existing resources serving clients; monitors person centered and waiver driven quality controls and addresses concerns accordingly; assists in administration of client participation in federal reimbursement programs; may represent facility in any legal proceedings involving clients; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of relevant agency policies and procedures; considerable knowledge of relevant State and Federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of intellectual disability case management practices; considerable knowledge of social problems resulting from intellectual disability and methods for dealing with those problems; considerable knowledge of inter-disciplinary approach to program planning; knowledge of public and private resources for persons with intellectual disability; knowledge of relationships between facilities for persons with intellectual disability, community agencies, courts and health facilities; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; supervisory ability; ability to utilize computerized software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
The General Experience is defined as one of the following:
1. A Bachelor's degree that meets the eligibility criteria for certification/designation as a Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professional as set forth in federal regulations and interpretive guidelines and three (3) years of professional experience providing case management or casework services to an assigned caseload of individuals.
2. A Master's degree that meets the eligibility criteria for certification/designation as a Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professional as set forth in federal regulations and interpretive guidelines and two (2) years of professional experience providing case management or casework services to an assigned caseload of individuals.
NOTE: A degree that meets the eligibility criteria for certification/designation as a Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professional (QIDP) is a degree in the field of human services, healthcare or education including but not limited to: nursing, psychology, rehabilitation counseling, special education or sociology.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been providing case management or casework services to persons with intellectual disability.
NOTE: For State Employees this is interpreted at the level of Developmental Services Case Manager.
1. Must be eligible for certification as a Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professional as required by Federal regulations.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(11)-HEALTH PROF (P-1)
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Developmental Services Supervisor of Case Management in Salary Group HC 26 approved effective July 10, 2015. (Revised to expand usage to the Department of Social Services and change Service Status to Non-Examined)