PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing duties a substantial amount of time (75%) in one or both of the following areas:
- patient/client transportation
- grounds care (outside services) equipment operation
Initially works under the close supervision of an employee of higher grade; works more independently with acquired experience.
May oversee the work of patients or students assigned to assist in maintenance functions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
See attached addendum.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to operate equipment and vehicles used in daily work; ability to learn policies and procedures; ability to operate, care for and perform minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work; some ability in simple recordkeeping.
Any experience and training which provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and risk of injury from equipment and assaultive and/or abusive patients and/or clients.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
The entry level rate for this class will be ten (10%) percent below Step 1 of the salary grade. Upon completion of the initial working test period the incumbent’s salary will be adjusted to the TC or FM pay plan, Step 1 of the salary grade for this class.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Maintainer (Driver/Equipment Operator) in Salary Group TC 11 approved effective June 23, 1995. (2013 SCOPE Review)
Examples of Duties by General Work Areas
Keeps simple records and prepares reports (this should be related to duties and not a full time office record keeping position); performs related duties as required.
Operates a passenger motor vehicle for transportation of clients with mental retardation and other developmental disabilities and other patients; ensures safety of all passengers; maintains vehicles in good condition including cleaning and lubrication and preventive maintenance as required; keeps records in connection with vehicles (gas, oil, mileage) and materials delivered; may deliver medications to and from various locations; may pick up and deliver prescriptions, payroll documents, mail, equipment, medical records, various documents, groceries, etc; may pick up and deliver other state vehicles to state facilities; may perform some stores functions involving loading and unloading of materials, inventory and record keeping.
GROUNDS CARE (OUTSIDE SERVICES)
Operates the following equipment a substantial amount of time (75%): Skid steer loader High productivity front end machine or multi-attachment snow blower and/or mower Power drain cleaning equipment Power striping machine Chain saws and/or brush chippers Self propelled sweeping and/or vacuum machine Other related commercial and heavy duty equipment
These are only examples of types of tasks that a Maintainer (Driver/Equipment Operator) may be expected to perform. Incumbents in this class will also be expected to perform related duties as required.