PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Motor Vehicles this class is accountable for taking a prescribed formal academic and on the job training course in security work involving investigative and inspection techniques and procedures.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
This class is a recruitment and training vehicle for the class of Motor Vehicle Inspector. Upon successful completion of training and probationary requirements incumbents in this class will be eligible for appointment to the Motor Vehicle Inspector with responsibility for protection of life and property.
Works under the close supervision of an officer of higher grade; performs under supervision increasingly responsible duties for training and evaluation purposes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
General intelligence; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability in oral and written expression; ability to evaluate emergency situations and develop effective courses of action; ability to deal effectively with those contacted in the work.
1. Applicants must be authorized to work lawfully in the United States by date of appointment.
2. Applicants must have a High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certification prior to admission to the Connecticut Police Training Academy.
3. During the period as an Inspection and Enforcement Trainee candidates will be required to complete a course of training to include completion and graduation from the Connecticut Police Training Academy program or its equivalent.
4. Appointment to this class will be for a period not to exceed twelve (12) months. Provisional appointment will be made to the target class when formal training has not been completed after twelve (12) months as a Protective Services Trainee (Inspection and Enforcement). Appointment will be made to the target class after successful completion and graduation of formal training.
5. Applicants in this class must have reached their 21st birthday.
6. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
7. Incumbents in this class may be required to obtain and retain Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic certification.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have general good health, be free from any disease or injury which would impair health or usefulness and possess and retain sufficient physical strength, stamina, agility, endurance and visual and auditory acuity to perform the duties of the class. A physical fitness assessment will be required of all applicants.
2. A comprehensive medical examination, including a controlled substance screening, will be required of all applicants upon a conditional offer of employment.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to unpleasant situations which may cause injury and may be exposed to uncomfortable weather conditions.
In accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreement's compensation guidelines.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
(09)-PROTECT SERV (NP-5)
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Protective Services Trainee (Inspection and Enforcement) in Salary Group PS 05 approved effective October 7, 2022. (Revised to modify Special Requirements) Final No. 22-158