PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks for an Equal Employment Opportunity program.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
This class is the full professional working level and is distinguished from the Equal Employment Opportunity Assistant class by its full range of affirmative action and equal opportunity assurance duties including preparing affirmative action plans, analyzing statistical data, outreach efforts, career counseling, participating in training activities, defining and taking affirmative action toward achieving affirmative action goals and objectives.
Works under the general supervision of an Equal Employment Opportunity professional of a higher grade.
May lead lower level employees as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Compiles and analyzes statistical affirmative action data; develops and implements affirmative action plans; develops and/or revises equal employment opportunity procedures; defines and conducts outreach initiatives to include recruitment efforts through community and minority organizations and career fairs; conducts career counseling; conducts discrimination complaint investigations; counsels staff on equal employment opportunity matters; reviews supplier contracts to ensure incorporation of affirmative action considerations; prepares reports; assists Equal Employment Opportunity staff with special projects; assists in training activities; may participate in employment interviews; may assist in development of equal employment opportunity policy; may assist in monitoring agency compliance with State of Connecticut Minority & Small Contractor's Set Aside Program; may participate in administering affirmative action for patient, student, inmate and/or client rights programs; may serve as the agency's ADA coordinator; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; knowledge of affirmative action programs; knowledge of interviewing and counseling techniques; knowledge of merit system selection process including recruitment, examination and classification; knowledge of needs and issues of patients, inmates, students and/or clients; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; ability to develop and implement affirmative action plans; ability to compile, analyze and evaluate human resource records and statistical information; investigatory ability; ability to assess and define training requirements; ability to utilize human resources information systems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of professional experience in affirmative action, equal opportunity assurance or human resources management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have involved primary responsibility for affirmative action or equal opportunity assurance in an employment setting.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in public administration, human resources management, labor relations or a closely related field or a law degree may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
3. For state employees two (2) years of experience as an Equal Employment Opportunity Assistant may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2. In accordance with Connecticut General Statute, incumbents in this class must complete five (5) hours of training during the first year of service or designation and a minimum of three (3) hours biannually thereafter. This training shall include (1) state and federal discrimination laws and (2) internal discrimination investigation techniques which will be provided by the Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities and the Permanent Commission on the Status of Women.
JOB CLASS DESIGNATION
This replaces the existing specification for the class of Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist 1 in Salary Group MP 57 approved effective April 24, 2009. (Revised to modify Special Requirement)